The Silver City Fire Department does issue burn permits for those interested in obtaining permission for such use. Citizens can come by any fire station to pick up permit. It is best to call before going down to obtain permit due to personnel not available due to being on an emergency or out conducting other fire duties. Station One is located at 1011 North Hudson Street and phone number is 538-2591. Station Two is located at 1825 East 32nd Street and can be reached at 388-2632.
To obtain a permit you must provide your name, address, and contact number. Other information on permit will include material to be burned and method of extinguishment. Some other vital information on Permit for Open Burning will be:Hours
- Burning hours will be from one half hour after sunrise to one hour before sunset.Trash Burning
- Burning of trash is strictly prohibited. Only yard waste, tree limbs, and weeds may be burned.Wind Conditions
- Burning is prohibited when winds are in excess of ten miles per hour.Objections
- Open burning that will be offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor emissions when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fire hazardous shall be prohibited.Notification
- The Silver City Fire Department must be contacted prior to ignition and immediately after burning is completed. In the event of no answer, Central Dispatch must be notified at 388-8840.Attendance
- Burning shall be constantly monitored until the fire is completely extinguished, a fire extinguisher, or other on site fire-extinguishing equipment, such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose or water truck shall be available for immediate utilization.Expiration
- Burn permits will expire 2 weeks from application date.
The permit will require a signature of person requesting permit and signed off by Station Fire Officer. Note:
Any state or local official decision to impose a ban on burning will automatically cancel out all burn permits issued.
A copy of this permit shall remain in possession of the person conducting the burn until the fire is completely extinguished. At any time that fire personnel are dispatched to address and find that a violation is being committed, you will requested to put out fire or fire personnel will extinguish fire.
For further information on how to conduct legal and safe burns within Silver City, contact the Deputy Chief of Fire Prevention/Fire Marshal at 956-1273 or stations listed above. Burn status can be obtained by calling fire stations or driving by and seeing signs posted in front of stations.