To record, analyze, monitor, manage, and maintain the Town's financial resources in a sound and efficient manner, and to report on this financial activity in an effective and timely manner. INTRODUCTION & ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
Often, the first point of contact for the Public as you enter City Hall, is our Receptionist/Finance Clerk-Renee VanLaningham. Ms. VanLaningham provides reception and phone support not only for City Hall, but assists and directs any incoming calls or customers to the appropriate departments within the Town. For emergency calls that may occur after hours and on holidays, please call Central Dispatch at 388-8840.
State of New Mexico-CRS Tax Identification Numbers for businesses operating outside the Silver City area may be obtained through Ms VanLaningham. (For businesses located within the Silver City area, CRS Tax ID Numbers and new business license applications may be obtained at the Community Development Office located at the City's Annex Building in the Bank of America building on the northwest corner of Hudson and 12th street).
Our department prides itself with providing outstanding service to our internal departments/management/Council Members, as well as, external customers and various agencies. We have a small, but efficient, staff of twelve, not including the Town Manager/Finance Director.
We have implemented various internal controls, organizational techniques, and standardized forms and methods of performing our duties to enhance our efficiency and accountability. We continue to work on backup plans to cover duties within the department, which helps with employee time off, as well as emergencies that may arise.
We volunteered for Phase I of the DFA Budget Program in FY2009, and now report all quarterly and FY Budgets in this new format. We are proud to report that the Town has had some outstanding audit reports these last few years and the Town Council has recognized the staff for their efforts.
DUTIES OF THE DIVISION:
The following outlines some of the duties & responsibilities of the Administration & Accounting Division:
- Manages all other Finance Divisions
- Prepares Monthly Bank Reconciliations
- Responsible for Investments
- Books & Reviews various one-time and monthly journal entries
- Balances fund balances
- Runs end-of-month, quarter, and yearly processes
- Prepares FY Budgets
- Prepares Budget Adjustments
- Prepares Quarterly DFA Reports
- Oversees Grant & Legislative Allocation process & assignments to accountants
- Performs daily/monthly duties to keep internal control processes in place
- Oversees Safety Requirements are fulfilled by employees
Alex C. Brown
Town Manager-Finance Director
Deputy Finance Director
(575) 538-3731 Town of Silver City Main Number
(575) 538-6379 firstname.lastname@example.org